"The Perks + Pitfalls of Being a Nonprofit Employer" -- A Reach Out for Nonprofits Educational Seminar
Moderator: Jaclyn Matayoshi Vary, Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP
- Meredith C. Shoop, Littler Mendelson, P.C.
- Marvin E. Richards, Jr., Deputy General Counsel, Cuyahoga Community College
Nonprofit leaders and attorneys with nonprofit clients will learn how to navigate the ins and outs of compliance with employment laws, both as they broadly affect all businesses and more specifically how nonprofit organizations may encounter the issues.
Speakers Meredith Shoop and Marvin Richards will address:
- Business basics (HR, insurance, government filings);
- Professional ethics;
- Perks of being a nonprofit; and
- Management of boards, staff, and volunteers, including compensation
Reach Out Educational Seminars are designed to provide important legal information related to nonprofit management.
Attorneys will receive 1.5 hours of CLE credit for attendance at the educational seminar. CLE credit is free with participation in the brief advice clinic for nonprofit leaders to follow. Volunteers may participate by agreeing to provide services in their choice of three ways:
For more information about Reach Out: Legal Assistance for Nonprofits, click here.
- Serving as faculty in law-related education programs;
- Providing brief advice and counseling at designated clinics; and/or
- Accepting referrals for pro bono service on transactional legal matters, and in some cases, litigation.
Nonprofits interested in participating should register by clicking here.
CLE: 1.50 hours requested
Registration: 4:00 p.m.
Seminar: 4:30-6:00 p.m.
Brief Advice Clinic: 6:15-7:15 p.m.
FREE for volunteers
$25 for CMBA members
$40 for non-members