Building Connections with the Nonprofit Community
We provide important education on legal topics for nonprofit leaders, as well as training for attorneys looking to serve and advise those nonprofits that are making a difference in our community. Through a partnership with the Federal Bar Association, Northern District of Ohio Chapter, Reach Out coordinates quarterly seminars and brief advice clinics free to the public, with free CLE credit for volunteers.
Reach Out Calendar
Email Jessica Paine to be added to our mailing list to stay in the loop when registration opens for upcoming seminars in 2020!
Nonprofit leaders are encouraged to attend each FREE seminar and participate in the brief advice clinics that follow. Attorneys will receive 1.5 hours of CLE credit for attendance at the educational seminar, which is free with participation in the clinic to follow.
All programs are held at the CMBA offices at 1375 East Ninth Street, Floor 2, Cleveland, Ohio 44114. The first through third seminars of the year are held on the following schedule:
- 4:00-4:30 p.m. - Registration
- 4:30-6:00 p.m. - Educational seminar
- 6:15-7:15 p.m. - Brief advice sessions with volunteer attorneys
The seminar planned for October during Pro Bono Week will be held on the following schedule:
- 7:30-8:00 a.m. - Registration
- 8:00-9:30 p.m. - Educational seminar
- 9:45-10:45 a.m. - Brief advice sessions with volunteer attorneys
Programs in 2019 (click here to be added to the Reach Out mailing list for notices of calendar changes, registration, and other information)
- March 28 – “The Legal Ins and Outs of Nonprofit Formation,” featuring Steven W. Day of Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP and Sam Peddicord of Candid (formerly the Foundation Center)
- May 23 – “An Event to Remember: How Nonprofit Organizations Can Stay on the Right Side of the Law” with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, featuring Mark Avsec of Benesch, Friedlander, Coplan & Aronoff LLP, John Neal of Walter | Haverfield LLP, and Jaclyn Matayoshi Vary of Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP
- Sept. 12 – “Privacy Issues for Nonprofits,” featuring Christopher Kakish of the Oswald Companies and Jamie M. Ramsey of Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP
- Oct. 24 – “Nonprofit Money Matters”
- Nov. 7 from noon-1 p.m. – “Good Intentions: the Ethics of Serving on a Board as an Attorney” Ethics CLE for attorneys only (presented by Beth Short, Ohio Attorney General Charitable Law Section)