Reach Out: Legal Assistance for Nonprofits is a
collaborative effort of the Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Ohio; the Federal Bar Association, Northern District of
Ohio Chapter; and the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (CMBA), all of
which have teamed up to develop and provide valuable law-related education and
pro bono legal assistance to nonprofit organizations in Northeast Ohio whose
missions focus on community service and who demonstrate financial need.
Nonprofits face many of the same complexities as commercial
businesses, and sometimes more, but often lack resources. A series of free
educational seminars will provide nonprofit leaders with information on various
legal issues of importance to their organizations. Please visit the tab marked
"For Nonprofits" for details and for the criteria for nonprofit
Next seminar Oct. 29, 2015 - "Legal and Practical Advice in Planning Compliant Events" (in partnership with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of the CMBA). Attorneys click here to register; nonprofits click here. Click here for a printable flyer of the event.
Leaders from eligible nonprofits and attorneys seeking to help local nonprofits are encouraged to attend the 2015 Reach Out educational seminars and brief advice clinics - see schedule below, or email email@example.com to be added to our mailing list. For a downloadable brochure outlining the Reach Out: Legal Assistance for Nonprofits program, please click here.
Reach Out Educational Seminars are designed to provide
important legal information related to nonprofit management. Nonprofit leaders
are encouraged to attend each seminar and participate in the brief advice
clinics that follow. Attorneys will receive 1.5 hours of CLE credit for
attendance at the educational seminar, which is free with participation in the
clinic to follow.
The FREE Educational Seminars will be held at the offices of the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (please note change of address):
1375 East Ninth Street, Floor 2, Cleveland, OH 44114
4:00-4:30 p.m. Registration
4:30-6:00 p.m. Topic
Discussion (1.5 hr. CLE credit)
6:15-7:15 p.m. Consultations/Brief
- March 26, 2015: "Immigration Law 101 and Required Disclosures to Employees" - Speakers: Karen Giffen and Melissa Laubenthal of Giffen & Kaminski, LLC
- May 28, 2015: "Hot Topics in Nonprofit Governance: Data Protection, Conflicts, and Business Management" - Speaker: Richik Sarkar of McDonald Hopkins
- September 17, 2015: "Legal Aspects of Fundraising for Nonprofits" - Speakers: Ginger F. Mlakar, Esq. and Paul G. Putman, both of the Cleveland Foundation
- October 29, 2015: "Legal and Practical Advice in Planning Compliant Events" (in partnership with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts of the CMBA)
- In this seminar, attorneys advising nonprofits and arts organizations will learn the legal requirements for holding compliant events, including: various permit filing requirements and exceptions (occupancy, parade and assembly); regulatory and liability issues relating to alcohol sales and service; and other common legal issues for nonprofit organizations hosting public events (e.g. liability insurance)
- Speaker: John N. Neal, Esq. of Koehler Neal
- REGISTRATION: Attorneys click here to register; Nonprofits click here
Lawyers will receive free CLE credits at each educational seminar
they attend with the goal of educating them to provide services in their choice
of three ways:
- Serving as faculty in law-related education
- Providing brief advice and counseling at designated
- Accepting referrals for pro bono service on
transactional legal matters, and in some cases, litigation.
Lawyers with experience in organizational and corporate structure,
transactional matters (real estate, landlord-tenant, employment, contract),
and other nonprofit-relevant legal issues are invited to volunteer to take
referrals, provide counseling at clinics, or serve as speakers and/or
To volunteer, please contact Jessica Paine by email or
phone at (216) 696-3525 x4462. Attorneys may register for the next Reach Out
educational seminar and CLE by clicking here.
Sept. 17, 2015 - "Legal Aspects of Fundraising for Nonprofits" - Speakers: Ginger F. Mlakar and Paul G. Putman, both of the Cleveland Foundation
May 28, 2015 - "Hot Topics in Nonprofit Governance: Data Protection, Conflicts, and Business Management" - Speaker: Richik Sarkar of McDonald Hopkins
March 26, 2015 -
"Immigration Law 101 and Required Disclosures to Employees" - Speakers: Karen Giffen and Melissa Laubenthal of Giffen & Kaminski, LLC
Oct. 30, 2014 - "Real Estate Law: Leases and Contractual Issues" - Speaker: Lori Pittman, of Ulmer & Berne LLP
Sept. 18, 2014
- "In-Depth Review of Employment Law" - Speakers: Robert Wolff of Littler Mendelson, P.C. and Kelli Webb Michaud of Wingspan Care Group
March 27, 2014
- "The ABCs of Board Nonprofit Governance" - Speaker: Stacey L. McKinley, founder and principal of McKinley Nonprofit Services
October 24, 2013 - "The Ins and Outs of Fundraising for Nonprofits" - Speakers: Ginger F. Mlakar, Director of Donor Relations, The Cleveland Foundation; Nelson S. Beckford, Grantmaking Program Officer, The Cleveland Foundation; Elizabeth H. Voudouris, Executive Vice President, BVU: The Center for Nonprofit Excellence
August 8, 2013 - "Employment Law Update for Nonprofits" - Speakers: Kelli A. Michaud, Wingspan Care Group; Robert M. Wolff, Littler Mendelson, P.C.
May 30, 2013 - "What to Think About When You're Thinking About Forming a Nonprofit" - Speakers: Steven W. Day, Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP, VLA Committee member; Todd K. Masuda, Schneider, Smeltz, Ranney & LaFond P.L.L., 2013 VLA Committee Chair
March 14, 2013 - "Nonprofit Boot Camp: Things You Need to Know" - Speakers: Craig T. Haran, Partner, Frantz Ward LLP; Brandon Miller, Principal, Howard Wershbale & Co.; Lisa Black, General Counsel, Catholic Charities Corporation; and Shannon Jerse, Deputy General Counsel, Sisters of Charity Health System
July 19, 2012 - "Employment Law Primer and Intellectual Property Law Tips for Nonprofits" - Speakers: Steven E. Seasly, Esq. & James D. Schweikert, Esq., Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP; Kevin M. Dunn, Esq., The Lincoln Electric Company; and Melissa M. Dials, Esq., GrafTech International Holdings Inc.
October 25, 2012 - "Privacy and Data Protection & Risk Management and Insurance for Nonprofits" - Speakers: Thomas F. Zych, Esq., Thompson Hine LLP; Lisa Lavelle & Betsy A. Harting, Oswald Companies; and Timothy D. Smanik, Esq.
April 19, 2012 - "Contract Basics and Real Estate Challenges for Nonprofits" - Speakers: Linda A. Striefsky, Esq. & Jacinto A. Nunez, Esq., Thompson Hine LLP; Cynthia A. Binns, Esq. & John D. Moran, Esq., GrafTech International Holdings Inc.
March 29, 2012 - "Fundamentals of Nonprofit
Governance" - Speakers: John
C. Goheen, Esq. and Jennifer
L. Adams, Esq., both of Ulmer & Berne LLP