Building Connections with the Nonprofit Community
We provide important education on legal topics for nonprofit leaders, as well as training for attorneys looking to serve and advise those nonprofits that are making a difference in our community. Through a partnership with the Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Ohio and the Federal Bar Association, Northern District of Ohio Chapter, Reach Out coordinates quarterly seminars and brief advice clinics free to the public, with free CLE credit for volunteers.
Email Jessica Paine to be added to our mailing list to stay in the loop when registration opens for upcoming seminars! Registration now open for March 15, forming a nonprofit: see below. Click here for the 2018 Reach Out brochure.
Nonprofit leaders are encouraged to attend each FREE seminar and participate in the brief advice clinics that follow. Attorneys will receive 1.5 hours of CLE credit for attendance at the educational seminar, which is free with participation in the clinic to follow.
All seminars are held at the CMBA offices at 1375 East Ninth Street, Floor 2, Cleveland, Ohio 44114.
- March 15 – “An Ounce of Intent, a Ton of Tenacity: What It Takes to Form a Nonprofit” with the Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (VLA), featuring speakers Steven W. Day of Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP, and David Holmes of The Foundation Center. NONPROFITS: click here to register; ATTORNEYS click here.
Starting a new nonprofit is 10% inspiration, 90% perspiration. Many people when starting out have a great idea, but getting a nonprofit organization off the ground takes time, energy, and legal and business knowhow. Learn about what you need to think about moving forward: business model, charitable purpose, operations, donations, government filing, board of directors, members, volunteers, and more.
- May 10 – “Make Your Own Rain: Fundraising and Crowdfunding for Nonprofits”
- Aug. 23 – “Board Onboard, Baby! Legal Issues in Board Governance & Engagement”
- Oct. 25 – “What a Novel Idea! Intellectual Property Overview for Nonprofits” held during pro bono week with the VLA
The March 15, May 10, and Aug. 23 seminars will be held on the following schedule:
- 4:00-4:30 p.m. Registration
- 4:30-6:00 p.m. Topic Discussion (1.5 hr. CLE credit)
- 6:15-7:15 p.m. Consultations/Brief Advice Clinic
The Oct. 25 seminar will be held on the following schedule:
Looking to start a nonprofit?
- 7:30-8:00 a.m. Registration
- 8:00-9:30 a.m. Topic Discussion (1.5 hr. CLE credit)
- 9:40-10:40 a.m. Consultations/Brief Advice Clinic
The Foundation Center of Cleveland offers a free online tutorial before you seek legal counsel: click here
. Applications are also open through Feb. 15 to attend the Nonprofit Capacity Building Boot Camp with Neighborhood Connections: click here
for more information.