Ways to Give Back
With all of the efforts being made to avoid the spread of COVID-19, many CMBA members are left with a drive to help and do good, but we’re prevented from our usual ways of reaching out in order to maintain social distancing.
Join the more than 1,000 lawyers and legal professionals giving back to our community each year by providing volunteer service in a CMBA pro bono or public outreach program. No matter what your level of experience, schedule or interest, we have a menu of volunteer opportunities that has something for you.
Share your legal skills. Our pro bono legal assistance programs also offer volunteers an opportunity to earn CLE credit, as outlined in Rule X of the Supreme Court Rules for the Government of the Bar of Ohio.
- Help indigent and low-income individuals in our Cleveland Homeless Legal Assistance Program, Pro Se Divorce Clinics, and Veterans Services Clinics.
- Help Cleveland's vibrant arts community through Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts programs and pro bono referrals assisting artists and arts organizations.
- Contribute your time and energy by helping small, grassroots nonprofits who are serving those in need in our neighborhoods with Reach Out for Nonprofits.
- Give back to those who served our country via the Veterans Legal Services Clinics.
Take time to invest in Cleveland's youth by participating in our law-related education programs for citizens of all ages.
- Join a 3Rs team and visit the high school classroom to help students learn about the U.S. Constitution and develop career planning skills.
- Mentor students in high school or college who are interested in careers in the law through diversity pipeline programs like the Summer Legal Academy and Stokes Scholars Program.
- Serve as a team legal advisor or competition judge for the Cleveland Mock Trial or the Ohio Mock Trial for students in Cleveland and high schools throughout Northeast Ohio.
Each volunteer program offers training, mentors, curriculum, materials, and other support to help ensure a satisfying and successful experience.