Volunteer Lawyers For The Arts
- Facilitate access to legal services for Northeast Ohio artists and arts organizations, including pro bono legal representation and referrals to income-eligible artists and arts organizations in all disciplines
- Develop educational resources for and build a living network of the region’s lawyers, artists, and arts organizations
- Advocate for a strong and vibrant arts community
How we serve the community
- For artists: If you are an artist or arts organization in the Greater Cleveland area seeking free legal assistance, please contact the VLA to submit an application.
- For the public: The VLA is committed to partnering with local arts and nonprofit organizations to present free, public law-related education programs. Past presentations have focused on topics such as leasing, gallery agreements, sales, and intellectual property protection. If you have an idea for an educational program, please let us know!
- For attorneys: We are currently seeking attorneys to join the VLA Committee to help us carry out our mission (must be a CMBA member). If you are interested in joining the VLA, please submit your committee request form.
Please contact Jessica Paine, Director of Community Programs, with questions.
Video now available of past VLA presentations!
- Click here for video of the Dec. 3, 2020 webinar "Intellectual Property Basics & Real Life Applications" VLA Bootcamp 2020: Part II (with featured panelists Thomas M. Horwitz, Thomas M. Horwitz Co. LPA & VLA Vice Chair; George Geddes, Attorney at Law; Edward Caja, Walter | Haverfield LLP; and Moderator: Katie Steiner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP & VLA Chair)
- Click here for video of the Nov. 5, 2020 webinar "Contracts for Creative Employees" VLA Bootcamp 2020: Part I (with featured panelists Thomas M. Horwitz of Thomas M. Horwitz Co. LPA, and Anna Kelberg-Kim, Attorney at Law)
- Click here for video of the Oct. 27, 2020 webinar “Political Activism, Lobbying, and Free Speech for Nonprofits” in partnership with Reach Out for Nonprofits (featuring panelists Alex Campbell of Schneider Smeltz Spieth Bell LLP, Michael Bowen of Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP, Andrew Geronimo of Case Western Reserve University School of Law, and moderator and VLA past Chair Jaclyn Vary of Calfee, Halter & Griswold LLP)
- Click here for video of the Sept. 17, 2020 webinar: "Protecting Your Creativity" in partnership with iN Education (Part I: Intellectual Property Law by Edward Caja, Walter | Haverfield LLP; Part II: Legal Issues in Fashion Law by Clare Shin, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, and Part III: Social Media for Creatives by Katie Steiner, Hahn Loeser & Parks LLP)
- Click here for video of the May 21, 2020: “Bringing Creatives to the Country: Immigration Issues for Artists & Arts Organizations in the Time of COVID-19” with panelists Weronika Costas of The Costas Network Law Center, LLC and Svetlana Kats, Attorney at Law