Racial Equity and The Law
Watch a playlist of our REAL Talks and REAL Workgroup Meetings starting with our most recent event.
The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association has accepted the challenge to be a force for positive, permanent change in our justice system. After hearing from many of its members and hosting a variety of community conversations regarding the need for ongoing reform, CMBA is inviting all of its members and others across the Greater Cleveland community to answer the call for collective action.
Four REAL Workgroups will lead the way in collectively addressing the following priorities:
- Dismantling Systemic & Negotiated Racism (Co-Chairs Kira Kittoe-Krivosh, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office, and Ludgy LaRochelle, Tucker Ellis)
Work Group Mission: Dismantling systemic and negotiated racism at the local, state and federal levels, which will involve reviewing existing legislation and regulations that may unfairly impact people of color or place unequal burdens on certain communities, in addition to proposing revised and/or new legislation and regulation.
Upcoming meeting: March 22 at noon
- Continuing Criminal Justice Reform (Co-Chairs Chris Keim, Frantz Ward, and Russell Tye, Cuyahoga County Public Defender Office)
Work Group Mission: Continuing to advocate for reform within our criminal justice system from operation of the Cuyahoga County Jail and future Justice Center, to pushing for continued bail/bond reform, and serving as a watchdog for the Cleveland Police Monitoring Team.
Upcoming meeting: March 25 at noon
- Promoting & Growing White Allyship (Co-Chairs Tera Coleman, BakerHostetler, and David Valent, Cleveland Clinic)
Work Group Mission: Promoting and grow white allyship by convening workshops, providing tool kits both to guide individual learning and growth, and to assist law firms, agencies and other businesses in the review of their organizational practices so they can affirmatively eliminate barriers and improve opportunities for people of color.
Upcoming meeting: March 19 at 2 p.m.
- Interrupting the Legal Profession's Systemic Inequities (Co-Chairs Kelly Albin, Sherwin-Williams; Ed Blakemore, Rockwell; and Mark Young, Roetzel & Andress, LPA)
Work Group Mission: Interrupting the Legal Profession's Systemic Inequities by further measuring our diversity and inclusion benchmarks, empowering legal entities with practical tools to improve, and launching the Cleveland Legal Inclusion 2020 Plan to increase the retention and advancement of both diverse and women attorneys and legal professionals in Greater Cleveland.
Upcoming meeting: March 23 at 8:30 a.m.
Hear from some of our leaders about the critical importance of this effort:
Ready to answer the call for action?
- Volunteer Now for one or more of the Priority Action Work Groups - click here
- Take the 21 Day Racial Equity Habit-Building Challenge
- Encourage your friends and family to follow your lead
- Take the 2020 Inclusion & Diversity Benchmarking Survey for all local legal employers
- Review and implement the CMBA's Racial & Gender Equity Tool Kit (available to CMBA members and employers who have completed the 2020 Inclusion & Diversity Benchmarking Survey)