Local Lawyers Associations
Throughout the Greater Cleveland area, there are a number of associations for lawyers. To help you help you engage in our community and connect with one another, we invite you to check out the details below about the various organizations that work independently and cooperatively to better serve the needs of lawyers.
Organizations currently referenced below are:
- Akron Bar Association & Akron Bar Foundation
- Arab American Bar Association of Ohio
- Asian American Bar Association of Ohio
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Ohio Chapter
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association & Bar Foundation
- Cuyahoga Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association - Northern District of Ohio Chapter
- Norman S. Minor Bar Association
- Ohio Hispanic Bar Association
- Ohio Women's Bar Association
Akron Bar Association & Akron Bar Foundation
Mission: The Akron Bar Association (ABA), through education, advocacy and community service, empowers its members to reflect the highest professional standards, enabling them to earn the community’s utmost respect so our legal system will be recognized as fair, accessible and just.
Vision: The Akron Bar Association will be recognized as the voice of the legal community to promote the highest respect for the law and justice system, thereby creating a thriving democracy.
Maxim: Honoring Our Legacy By Engaging Our Future
President: David J. Lewis, Krugliak Wilkins Griffiths Dougherty Co., LPA
President-Elect: William G. Chris, Roderick Linton Belfance LLP
Vice President of Membership: Alisa N. Benedict O'Brien, The University of Akron School of Law
Treasurer: John Martin, Brennan, Manna & Diamond
Secretary: Susan Durr, Attorney At Law
Executive Director: C. Allen Nichols
- Annual Meeting (June)
- Professionalism Dinner (October or November)
- Annual Gala (January or February)
- Law Week (1st week of May)
Arab American Bar Association of Ohio
AABAR-Ohio was formed in July 2020.
AABAR-Ohio, through community service, mentorship, and social and legal engagement, will serve to amplify the Arab American attorney’s voice as we join the Ohio legal community to tackle these important societal and legal issues.
President: Saleh S. Awadallah, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
Vice President: Majeed G. Makhlouf, Berns, Ockner & Greenberger, LLC
Secretary: Yasmine Hasan, Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office
Treasurer: Mohammad A. Faraj, Key Bank
Asian American Bar Association of Ohio
The AABA Ohio was formed in 1992 as a not-for-profit professional association of Asian-American attorneys, judges, law professors, legal professionals, law students, and other interested individuals. The AABA Ohio seeks to foster awareness of issues and concerns facing Asian Americans and to encourage a high level of professional achievement and active participation of its members in the legal profession and in local Asian American communities.
The South Asian Bar Association of Ohio (SABA Ohio) is also a section of AABA Ohio.
President: Neil Bhagat
- Fall General Body Meeting / Annual Holiday Dinner / Mentorship Dinner (End of October 2017)
- Lawyers’ Lunch Group (semi-monthly)
Association of Corporate Counsel, Northeast Ohio Chapter
The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) is a global bar association that promotes the common professional and business interests of in-house counsel who work for corporations, associations and other private-sector organizations through information, education, networking opportunities and advocacy initiatives. The Northeast Ohio chapter of ACC serves in-house counsel in 12 contiguous counties in the region, including the cities of Cleveland, Akron and Canton.
President: Assunta Rossi
President-Elect: Jennifer Miller
Executive Director: Betsy Keck
- Spring Social (TBD)
- Summer Social (June)
- Fall Social (September)
- Legal Ethics + Professionalism CLE (November)
- Winter Social (December)
Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association & Bar Foundation
The CMBA is a local, nonprofit professional organization dedicated to serving the needs of legal professionals here in Greater Cleveland. Our members include attorneys and judges, law students, paralegals, and other business professionals. Together, we serve as the collective voice of our legal profession, both bench and bar.
We are also the home of nationally recognized "Lawyers Giving Back" public outreach and pro bono legal service programs, funded by our Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation. The Foundation's tagline - "Lawyers Giving Back" - captures the spirit behind the hard work of our volunteers and Foundation to serve our community well.
President: Joseph N.Gross
President-Elect: Rosalina M. Fini
Vice President: Adrian D. Thompson
Vice President of Diversity & Inclusion: Valissa Turner-Howard
Treasurer: Tami M. Bolder
Chief Executive Officer: Rebecca Ruppert McMahon
- Annual Meeting (June)
- Franklin A. Polk Public Servants Merit Awards Luncheon (September)
- Halloween Run for Justice (October 31, 2020)
- Rock the Foundation (February 13, 2021)
Cuyahoga Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
The mission of the CCDLA is to organize the criminal bar to provide continuing education and share information with criminal lawyers for the benefit of the lawyers, their clients and the justice system.
President: Russell Bensing
President-Elect: Jaye Schlachet
Executive Director: Linda Gonzalez
- Annual Ethics and Professionalism Seminar every November
- Annual Meeting and Seminar May or June
- Monthly Meetings that include one hour of free CLE to members
Federal Bar Association - Northern District of Ohio Chapter
The mission of the FBA is to strengthen the federal legal system and administration of justice by serving the interests and the needs of the federal practitioner, both public and private, the federal judiciary and the public they serve.
President: Deneen LaMonica
President-Elect: Erin Brown
Vice President: Derek Diaz
Administrator: Jeanette Schinness
- State of the Court Luncheon (September)
- Summer Social (July)
- Federal Criminal Practice Seminar (August)
- Summer Associate Reception (July)
- Introduction to Federal Practice (Quarterly)
Norman S. Minor Bar Association (NSMBA)
President: Ciera M. Colon
First Vice President: Delante Thomas
Second Vice President: Brandon Brown
- Trailblazer Luncheon (late October annually)
- Holiday CLE and Holiday Party (mid-December annually)
- Summer social mixer with other minority bar associations
- 1st and 3rd quarter general body meetings (February and October annually)
Ohio Hispanic Bar Association
The mission of OHBA is to provide a forum for Hispanic and other lawyers who are interested in promoting the social, economic, political, cultural and educational advancement of Hispanic people.
President: Patrick Espinosa
- Annual OHBA recognition Luncheon
- Minority Bar Holiday Party
- Joint Minority Bar Association Summer Mixer
Phone (817) 729-5557
Ohio Women's Bar Association
The OWBA mission is to promote the leadership, advancement and interests of women attorneys through professional education, networking and the exchange of ideas between our members, local bar associations, business and the community.
President: Tara Aschenbrand, OhioHealth
President-Elect: Lisa Whittaker, Express
Vice President: Justice Mary DeGenaro, Supreme Court of Ohio
Treasurer: Sherri Dahl, Dahl Law LLC
Secretary: Judge Noceeba Souther, US Social Security Administration
Immediate Past President: Lisa Kathumbi, Bricker & Eckler LLP
Executive Director: Kim Fantaci
- OWBA Annual Meeting & Conference (May)
- OWBA Founders’ Gala (March)
- Statewide Give Back Event (November)
- Leading with Style (June)
- Receptions Honoring the Newest Women Attorneys (Various Cities, December or January)