Immersing yourself in a leading professional organization will make for a smoother transition upon graduation. Join as a law student and utilize the CMBA as you grow in your career.
As the local bar association for Greater Cleveland, the CMBA is the ONE organization that supports and brings together the entire legal profession. Our membership includes business leaders, judges, attorneys, paralegals, law students and other professionals. Together, we advance our profession and serve our community. Through networking, education, volunteer opportunities and more, the CMBA provides the tools you need to prepare for, transition into, and succeed in practice – and it’s FREE.
LEARN - The CMBA is educational. You can learn about substantive areas of law by joining different sections, attending CLEs, and reading CMBA publications. Become engaged in the professional community by taking advantage of opportunities to work with local attorneys.
GROW - The CMBA is your professional community. It is uniquely suited to help you expand your network and build lasting relationships by meeting member attorneys, professionals, judges, and students at CMBA sponsored events and programs. Make use of the CMBA and its resources now and as you grow in your career.
GIVE - The CMBA is socially responsible. It provides a variety of opportunities to support our community. Develop the good habit of giving back. Exercise your legal skills by volunteering with our Justice For All programs as a student and later as an attorney.
SAVE - Leverage the discounts offered through the CMBA membership on dining, entertainment, business needs, retail and more around town.
Law students also can join the Young Lawyers Section and Women In Law Section at no charge. In addition, students may choose one additional section for free. Click on the join button below to sign up online or click here for a PDF of the application.
Law students are also able to extend their free membership post graduation for up to 12 months while studying for and awaiting Bar Exam results.
We recognize that your studies demand a lot of your time, but we hope you will take advantage of the opportunities available through the CMBA to engage with your local legal community. Please consider the following:
- Attend CMBA activities, events and CLEs as your schedule permits. Law students may attend most CLEs for FREE when hosted at the CMBA office. Occasionally there is a charge for lunch, but please call the CMBA to register and discuss any details at 216-696-3525. Online registration is not available for students
- Volunteer with our Justice For All Programs to gain experience, give back to Cleveland, and make valuable connections with current practitioners. Click here to view a brochure on volunteer opportunities that you can engage in as law students.
- Contribute to the Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the CMBA that funds its many pro bono and community service programs.
- Get your copy of the CMBA's annual Legal Directory.
- Take advantage of free membership to the Young Lawyers Section and Women In Law Section, plus one additional section if desired. There are more than 20 sections available by practice area for consideration. Becoming a section member further enhances your networking opportunities; provides access to section-specific news, luncheons and events; and can prepare you for leadership positions within the section and the Bar.
To get involved, give back or join a section, please contact the CMBA at 216-696-3525.
"As the legal market adapts to tougher economic times, the value of interpersonal connections has never been higher. However, attending a few Career Service Office networking events is simply not enough. It takes time and sweat-equity to build those connections. Through my involvement in the CMBA, I feel like I have really begun to spread my roots into Cleveland’s legal community and develop those long lasting relationships."
Adam Kyle Rosen, CWRU ’13
"Creating connections in the professional community has been an essential part of my legal education. Knowing attorneys in varying practice areas is the best way to explore the many facets of law. Additionally, having a good network makes me feel like I have support in Cleveland’s legal community. Whether I need help on a job search or professional advice, I feel comfortable reaching out to Cleveland’s legal network through the CMBA."
Kimberly Kendall, Cleveland-Marshall ’12