Tax Opposition Toolkit
The CMBA is pleased to provide you with tools for use as you assist with efforts to defeat the legislative proposal to expand the sales tax to legal services (as part of House Bill 59). We are mounting this effort because of the proposal is inappropriate tax policy that would overly burden our clients and impede access to the legal system, and we are concerned about the administration of the tax and its effect on the practice of law.
We are asking you and your clients to write to your local legislators to ask them to oppose this proposal. Your active participation in this effort is critical to our success and we thank you for all that you do! Please follow these instructions as you write to your legislators. Below are sample letters. Remember to personalize them so legislators do not receive the same letter multiple times.
When you write to your legislators, emphasize the CMBA talking points as outlined in our official statement. Click here to view the CMBA press release.
Remember to be respectful and persuasive. We are asking legislators to side with us in this debate and oppose the expansion of the sales tax to legal services. Contacting your local legislators is critical to this effort and they will appreciate hearing from you as their constituents To be most persuasive, please avoid saying negative things about the Governor or legislators, threatening litigation or ballot issues, and simply stating our opposition in a negative way without providing constructive reasoning. Approach this as you would when advocating before a judge on behalf of your clients. Following these tips will help us make our case to state legislators!
You can write to the state representative and state senator that represents your area either via e-mail or letter. For convenience, the Cuyahoga County contacts are below. You also may identify which legislators represent your area by going to this web site and entering your zip code (http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/) Representatives by county are found at http://www.ohiohouse.gov/members/member-by-county.
House of Representatives by Cuyahoga County districts:
- District 6: Rep. Marlene Anielski, 77 S. High St. 12th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 7: Rep. Mike Dovilla, 77 S. High St. 13th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, email@example.com
- District 8: Rep. Armond Budish, 77 5. High St. 14th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 9: Rep. Barbara Boyd, 77 S. High St. 10th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, email@example.com
- District 10: Rep. Bill Patmon, 77 S. High St. 11th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 11: Rep. Sandra Williams, 77 S. High St. 10th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, email@example.com
- District 12: Rep. John Barnes, 77 S. High St. 10th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 13: Rep. Nickie Antonio, 77 5. High St. 11th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, email@example.com
- District 14: Rep. Mike Foley, 77 S. High St. 10th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, firstname.lastname@example.org
- District 15: Rep. Nicholas Celebrezze, 77 S. High St. 10th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, email@example.com
- District 16: Rep. Nan Baker, 77 S. High St. 12th Fl. Columbus OH 43215, firstname.lastname@example.org
Senators by Cuyahoga County districts: