Party Leaders Join Task Force
Back to News
Click here to link to The City Club for a podcast of the Friday Forum
Click here to read coverage by Crain's Cleveland Business
Click here to read coverage by The Plain Dealer
Click here for news on WKSU-FM 89.7 (NPR)
Political Parties Agree to Join Bar Association Task Force on Judicial Excellence
CLEVELAND – Oct. 1, 2010 – During today’s Friday Forum at The City Club, Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association President Michael N. Ungar announced that Democratic Party Chairman Stuart Garson and Republican Party Chairman Rob Frost have accepted his invitations to serve on the newly created Task Force on Judicial Excellence.
The task force is charged with conducting careful, thoughtful research and investigation in order to address the problems in the judicial selection process. The commitment of both chairmen stresses that the vital importance of having the best judges on the bench supersedes politics.
“The unprecedented support of both political parties in this process indicates a change in our political landscape and a very positive step in a new direction,” said Ungar.
Following the panel discussion, Garson and Frost talked about responsibility of both parties to work together to put forth the most qualified candidates for the benefit of the public at large.
“The bar association is proud to take a leadership role in working with the political parties to improve the process by which we attract and retain high quality judicial candidates and work to ensure that we have across-the-board judicial excellence,” continued Ungar. “By having the leaders of these political parties at the table, it makes the work of our task force that much more efficient and effective.”
Co-chaired by Judge Timothy E. McMonagle of the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas and James D. Robenalt of Thompson Hine LLP, the task force includes:
- A. Steven Dever – Cuyahoga County Prosecutor's Office
- Robert S. Frost – Tucker Ellis & West LLP
- Stuart I. Garson – Seaman Garson, LLC
- Kerin L. Kaminski – Giffen & Kaminski, LLC
- Irene C. Keyse-Walker – Tucker Ellis & West LLP
- David M. Paris – Nurenberg, Paris, Heller & McCarthy Co., L.P.A.
- Jan L. Roller – Davis & Young
- Mark A. Stanton – Short Shepherd & Stanton
- Roger M. Synenberg - Synenberg & Associates, LLC
- Taras G. Szmagala Jr. - Eaton Corporation
- Russell W. Tye - Law Offices of Russell W. Tye
- Robin G. Weaver – Squire, Sanders & Dempsey L.L.P.
About the CMBA
The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association is a nonprofit organization, operating as a center for legal professionalism in the region and promoting the highest ethical and professionalism standards.
Click here to read the more on the Task Force on Judicial Excellence at The City Club.