About CMBA - Overview
The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association (CMBA) is a nonprofit organization that operates as a center for legal professionalism in the region, promoting the highest ethical and professional standards. It was formed in March 2008 by the consolidation of the Cleveland Bar and Cuyahoga County Bar Associations, which brought together more than 135 years of rich history. It works to advance the greater Cleveland legal community as a world-class center of professional excellence and model of community service.
The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Foundation, the charitable arm and partner of the CMBA, raises funds to support the important public outreach activities of the Association. These activities include a variety of pro bono legal service, law-related education, tutoring and mentoring programs. Additionally, the Foundation assists with the Association’s diversity initiatives aimed at improving the pipeline of minority students entering the legal profession.
The CMBA’s reach is primarily Cleveland and Cuyahoga County. This geographic footprint makes it the largest legal community in Ohio. It has an operating budget of approximately $3 million and is home to nearly 6,000 members. Read more.
PURPOSE: To promote the rule of law, sustain and improve the quality of and public trust in the administration of justice and the legal profession, and enhance Greater Cleveland through member, civic and community service and leadership.
VISION: To be the model of metropolitan bar member and community service and leadership, indispensable to the practice of law in Greater Cleveland.
CORE VALUES: The Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association is committed to:
1. Professionalism: We respect the rule of law and will promote integrity, ethical conduct and trust.
2. Service: We will dedicate ourselves to providing civic and community service including pro bono legal representation for those in need.
3. Leadership: We will provide a vision and solutions to problems for our profession, justice system and Greater Cleveland.
4. Justice: We will protect access to justice and equal justice, and promote a fair, efficient and competent system of justice for all.
5. Diversity: We are dedicated to diversity and inclusiveness within the profession, justice system and community.
6. Excellence: We aspire to the highest standards of performance in the practice of law.
7. Collegiality: We will listen to a variety of viewpoints and build consensus within the Bar and the Greater Cleveland community.
8. Innovation: We will continually explore new avenues to provide better service to our members and the Greater Cleveland community.
Articles of Incorporation (see also attachment)
Past Presidents of the CMBA and its predecessors